Welcome to Woodpeckers class
Mr Somers is the class teacher.
Mrs Caunt is the teacher assistant.
We will be doing indoor PE on Tuesday and outdoor PE on Friday. However there could be additional slots or changes to the timetable so the children will need their PE kit in school everyday. PE kits are kept on their pegs. If your child has their ears pierced they will need to take their earrings out themselves or not wear them on PE days.
We spent some time thinking about some class rules that we should follow to allow us to learn, enjoy ourselves and keep safe. Take a look at our display!
This Half Term
Our Quest is...
We will be going on an adventure to the Arctic and to Antarctica and exploring everything it has to offer. Watch this space for updates on how we get on throughout our quest. In the mean time, have a look at the quest overview below to see what we will be learning in each subject this term.
Look at what exciting things we will be learning this term!
Our new quest will start with our big bang moment- a trip to The Living Rainforest.
- The children should be reading at home everyday to practice their decoding skills and comprehension.
- All children will bring home 2 Read, Write Inc books weekly depending on the group they are in. One will be in the form of an e-book and one will be a book bag book. These are the most important books to practise as they rehearse the skills they have been taught in school. Experience shows that children make good progress if these books are practised at home. The e-books are on their Oxford Owl accounts. (see passwords and usernames inside your child's reading record.)
- They can also pick any book from the class book box to take home to encourage reading for pleasure. These books can be read by them or shared together with family.
- Once the children have finished RWI their reading will be assessed and they will take home a book band book.
- We will also be visiting the school library once a week, where the children can choose a book as long as they remember to return their previous book. Day of the week to be confirmed.
- Please record the children's reading of school books in their reading diaries. The diaries will be collected in once a week and we will be counting up how many times the children have read. To encourage the children to read at home we will have some prizes available which we will launch with the children soon.
- It's always handy to practise handwriting when you get a chance. Maybe encourage them to practise the formation of letters or their joins depending on what level of handwriting they are at.
- The children will have weekly spellings that they are learning in school. A list will be sent out on Teams for you to practise at home too.
- Children should regularly be practicing to count in 1s, 2s, 5s and 10s forwards and backwards. They should also practise to count on and count back from any number. For example to count on in 10s from 34... 34, 44, 54, 64.
- Children should regularly practise quickfire addition to develop their mental calculation and knowledge of number facts. For example, doubling, halving, number bond.
- Home learning may be set on MyMaths to consolidate learning from the classroom.
- To see the methods we use please see the calculation policy below.